Recommended Reading

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Rejected

I apologize for not writing for a while.

Many of you probably guessed that this big upheaval in my life was that I became pregnant and it caused me to question my life choices and the plans I've been making.

I found out I was pregnant about a week before my second MCAT attempt and it distracted me to no end. In fact I really shouldn't have written it at all and after writing it I should have voided it.

Its amazing how just a little distraction can really affect you. Because I did WORSE on my second attempt and THAT was the score I had to apply with.

Not surprisingly I've been rejected from the 2 universities that I applied to. Even though I KNEW I would be, I won't lie and say that a tiny part of me didn't hold out hope that I'd get an interview at least, because it did.

The first rejection I received last week wasn't so bad - but the one I got today stung more than I expected. Probably because it was my last chance for this cycle. And because it made it real that this is just NOT going to happen for me this year - and perhaps ever.

With a baby on the way, I'm not going to apply again this summer. I haven't really done much to improve my application since the last application cycle so there is no point anyway. And to be perfectly honest I'm not sure I have the same drive that I had when I initially started this process.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to go to med school but my priorities have shifted a bit and it seems to me selfish to pursue something this major at this point.

So friends...I'm putting my dream on hold for a bit, maybe indefinitely. And in the meantime I'm working on my Plan B.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Kasia, it was a valiant effort and I'm super proud of u. U took a huge risk and tried ur hardest. Although u were rejected, i feel u actually accomplished so much over the past year. Not many ppl in ur position with a family and a mortgage etc would ever be able to take on the med school application process, let alone write the MCAT not once but twice! You truly are a brave and strong person. Your baby is a blessing and will give you more joy and satisfaction than a career in Medicine ever would have. May God bless your final weeks of pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your baby. Although the admission result is not what you had hoped for, you've tried and perhaps you would re-engage this pursuit in the future. Thank you for sharing your journey and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete