Recommended Reading

Monday, January 14, 2019

New Year, New....style?

I've been experimenting with the style of this blog and I kind of like this new style of just writing a bunch of thoughts that I have running through my head.

I'm in this group called Balance 365 Life (which is a group that literally supports just that - balance in the areas of fitness, nutrition, self care etc - its amazing and I'll definitely devote a whole post about how its impacted my life sometime soon) and one person there suggested that instead of New Years Resolutions, she will have a "word" for the year. I liked the idea a lot and have decided that my "word" is going to be Consistency. Consistency with studying, with my exercise, with blogging, with the healthy nutrition habits I've developed. I've noticed its all all easier if I just do the things consistently.

Because I studied pretty consistently before my physiology test, I did pretty well on it. I noticed how after going to the personal trainer consistently has improved my overall fitness and appearance. I find I don't feel the pressure to do this huge update on my blog and wonder what to write about if I just jot down my thoughts consistently.

Now, consistently doesn't necessarily mean intensely. In fact, consistency trumps intensity every time. Going to the gym once a week, every week for 4 months is much more effective than going to the gym 5 days in a row once and not at all the next 3 months, for example. Studying everyday for a couple hours is more effective than cramming everything the night before a test (lol, kind of like I am doing now for a biochemistry test I didn't realize we are having tomorrow).

That said I do have some goals for the new year. I want to spend less time on social media, so have decided to focus on reading more to crowd out my social media use. That and I've finally decided to just put the screen time limits that the iPhone has to use. I also have some goals to do as well as possible on my graded courses. My first big course that I will be tested on is cytophysiology, the final of which is on February 1st. I have started studying - and planned on getting a couple hours in today until I found out we have a less important but still important biochem test. But its ok. Hopefully I'll be able to make up some of the time tomorrow.

**********************************

While I was in Canada, I emailed two IMGs who were successful in getting residency positions back in Canada, at the very program I want to get into. Neither of them have emailed me back yet even though it's been over a week.  I didn't contact them blindly, my friend's friend (who is a Canadian med grad and who put me in touch with the IMGs) had asked them if I could and they both said yes and gave her their email addresses to pass on to me. So I'm wondering why they haven't even acknowledged the email. I hope they are just busy or maybe don't check their email that frequently (though I don't know how anyone can NOT check their email frequently - I check mine several times a day).  I'm starting to wonder if/when I should send a follow up email? I'm not in a crazy rush but I do want to know what they did and start planning.

**********************************

I had an interesting chat with a friend about my involvement in the student government at the med school. She's not a med student but she did tell me that she thinks I should just not be involved and focus on my own thing. That the systems in Europe are so slow to change that it's not worth the frustration. It made me think...I had been wondering about how to get involved next year but I think that my goals of getting a Canadian residency and the work involved with that should trump something that may not help me much in the long run.

*********************************

I finally got around to reading Secrets from the Eating Lab by Traci Mann. It was awesome and I will have to post a book review soon. Highly recommend.






No comments:

Post a Comment