Recommended Reading

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Consequences

Yesterday I ended up sending my youngest two to preschool after getting the OK from the preschool director.

But then my oldest son came home with a fever and his school has a policy of being 24 hour fever-free before letting them go back to school.

He is 11 so I decided to just take him to my classes. I didn't want to leave him at home for so long by himself, especially if he wasn't feeling well. I was able to skip the lecture in the morning that wasn't mandatory and took him to my Immunology class. He was really well behaved and just read a Harry Potter book, but I also caught him listening to the lecture. He told me he enjoyed it even though he didn't really understand it.

After the class we went to Starbucks where I studied and he watched some Netflix on my iPad. But when I took him for lunch I noticed that he was looking pale and he started to complain of having chills and a headache.

I decided that it wasn't worth dragging him to my biochem seminar. He just needed to lie down and rest. It was a mandatory class but I emailed the head of the department and explained my situation.

She responded and sympathized but said that because it was a mandatory class and because I'd missed one already at the beginning of the year (when our flight back to Poland from Canada was cancelled after Christmas - I had totally forgotten about that), that I'd have to make it up by doing a presentation at the next seminar on the topic (which is about nucleotide metabolism). I was a bit surprised because it always seems that there are no consequences in this program for breaking the rules (for example, if you get caught cheating, you would at worst fail the class, but they wouldn't expel you from school like they would in a Canadian university).

Oh well. It's not a big deal and in all honestly will be a good way for me to really learn the topic and this will only help me on the next exam. I didn't do too great on the last one and want to redeem myself on the next one. Its' funny, because it actually makes me respect the program and course more because this is how it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment