Recommended Reading

Friday, March 8, 2019

Fasting

Although I'm not really that religious (I think of myself as a lapsed-agnostic Catholic), I decided to give social media up for Lent.

I was just wasting too much time on FB and Instagram and I really just want to cut back. I've tried putting screen-time limits on my phone, but that didn't really work because I would just ignore the limit and I think I just ended up going on it more!

So a "cold-turkey" approach for a while is probably the best option for me. I know that the point of giving something up for Lent is to be less distracted from your relationship with God, but I think for me its about being less distracted from what is a truly a priority for me living my best life - and I think deep down, it amounts to the same thing.

I'm only 3 days in but its been easier than I thought. My biggest challenge will be reintroducing it later. I don't want to give it up forever completely, just manage it better.

***********************************

I have a big biochemistry test coming up next week. I'm not really nervous about it per se, because I understand it all - the only problem is the sheer amount of memorization required! I think amino acid structures will be the death of me. Mostly because I think memorizing them is pointless. I'd rather focus my energy on learning the different metabolic pathways or cholesterol synthesis (which I find personally interesting and important since I'm at risk for high cholesterol genetically).

The timing is kind of unfortunate since my mom is unexpectedly visiting Poland at the moment. Her best friend's mother died recently and she has come for the funeral. She is spending most of her time with her friend, but will be at home with us too - but I'll be busy studying and won't get to hang out with her as much as I'd like to. She is coming back next month with my dad though, so I'll see her more then.

**********************************

Tomorrow I'm attending a workshop on getting post-grad training in the NHS. I want to understand the process and requirements as best as I can because I need to be realistic about my chances in Canada. Its getting harder and harder every year. What if by the time I graduate, they will have completely taken away all the IMG spots?

Of course, Brexit has also put everything up in the air, but still the general process shouldn't change too much (as it is, currently the eligibility is based on EEA not necessarily EU citizenship). But I think going to the UK may still be easier for me and I want it to be a solid back-up. This workshop will take up all of Saturday pretty much, which is less than ideal given that I should be using that time to study for my exam or hanging out with my kids but whatever. I need to be flexible and do the best with what I can.

*********************************

I'm a little annoyed about something. Back in December I reached out to two former IMGs who did their residency at the place that is my #1 choice but never heard back. I contacted the girl (a good friend of a friend) and asked her to confirm that I used the right email addresses and she confirmed that she had and suggested I email them again because maybe the first email went to spam. So I did and yet again, have not heard back. From either of them.

I get that they must be busy etc but I also think a quick email even saying just that wouldn't be too much to expect, is it? I don't know. What I do know is that I will devote some time to helping IMG students make it back to Canada in any way I can, if I manage to.

No comments:

Post a Comment